Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Calls for Entry

I thought I'd share two calls for entry with you. The first is at the Newspace Center for Photography in Portland, Oregon. Newspace is a nice, almost alt/space where they have darkroom and lighting studio rental, photography classes, and decent gallery space. The juror is TJ Norris, who is a self styled experimental photographer. The second is at the Photographic Center Northwest in Seattle. This show is being juried by Rod Slemmons, Director of the Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College in Chicago.

I've failed to be accepted into either show in the past, buy why let that stop me (and you) from trying again??

4 comments:

Megan Carr said...

Are there any grants out there to help pay for entry fees? $20 here $40 there - it really adds up. How do you guys feel about forking over substantial cash for people to look at 4 or 5 images? (The Whitney Independent Study Program only costs $15 to apply - you'd think if anyone could charge more, it would be them.) Just curious, since I really haven't applied to anything in a long while and I've been using the money thing as an excuse.

John Photos said...

Try taking a week off the Kendall-Jackson...

Megan Carr said...

Funny you should mention that, I've been trying to (at least during the week) and it has been haaaaaarrrrrddd. Does that mean something?

David Ondrik said...

Kendall-Jackson??

My wife used to work at an arts organization that had some calls for entry and it was a PAIN IN THE ASS to sort everything, organize the jurors, sometimes compensate the jurors, etc. They got some complaints about the entry fees, but there was no other way to cover the labor costs involved. Actually, the fees didn't cover the labor, they just offset it.

So the fees do add up, but I'll continue to believe that they're not going towards strippers and coke parties.

At least, not until I start accepting calls for entry.